Starting July 5th, 2016, all White Plains licensed taxicabs will be equipped with certified taximeters that have been calibrated and tested to the City’s new metered taxicab rates.
Only licensed White Plains taxicab drivers operating licensed White Plains metered taxicabs are allowed to pick up passengers for a fare within the City of White Plains by prearrangement or in response to a street hail.
A White Plains metered taxicab complaint can be made during normal business hours Monday - Friday by calling the Licensing Division at (914) 422-6102.
If an incident occurs off-hours and your complaint needs immediate attention please call WP Police at (914) 422-6111. The incident can be documented and flagged for follow-up by the Licensing Division.
All complaints will be actively investigated. To assist us in pursuing complaints, we encourage all riders to insist on a printed metered fare receipt whenever employing a White Plains metered taxicab.
If an incident occurs off-hours and your complaint needs immediate attention please call the Patrol Division at (914) 422-6111. The incident can be documented and flagged for follow-up by the Licensing Division.Please keep a copy of your incident number to assist us in investigating your complaint.
Taxi User's Bill of Rights
- Conveyance of Passengers: No driver shall refuse or neglect to convey any orderly person upon request in the city unless previously engaged or unable to, based on the provisions of Chapter 4-15 of the City of White Plains Municipal Code.
- Exclusive Use: Taxicab drivers shall not carry any person other than the person first employing the taxicab unless such person consents to the acceptance of an additional passenger. However, during times of peak demand the Commissioner of Public Safety or his designee may direct taxicab drivers to accept multiple passengers.
- Identification: A taxicab driver shall state his or her name, badge number, and employer while on duty, to any passenger or police officer upon request.
- Climate Control: Taxicab drivers shall adjust air conditioning and heating systems in the vehicle at the request of a passenger.
- Seatbelts: Seatbelts must be available for your use. Please Buckle Up.
- Smoking: Smoking is prohibited at all times in vehicles bearing White Plains taxicab medallions
- Receipts: Upon the request of a passenger, taxicab drivers shall issue a receipt for fares paid by the passenger.
- Complaints: Report all violations to the White Plains Police Department at (914) 422-6111 or (914) 422-6102. To help us in handling your complaint, please be sure to record the driver’s badge number, the number of the car involved and the name of the taxicab company.
Metered Fare Rates
City of White Plains Taxicab Metered Fare. Effective Date: 07-05-2016.
How the Meters Work
White Plains taxi meters charge in increments of $0.25 for each 1/8th mile or 37.5 seconds of waiting time. When the metered taxicab is traveling above 12 mph. the taxi meter charges are based on distance traveled; at, or below 12 mph, the charges are based on the waiting time.
Hailing a Cab / Hail Zone
Taxicab drivers shall not carry any person other than the person first employing the taxicab unless such person consents to the acceptance of an additional passenger. However, during times of peak demand the Commissioner of Public Safety or his designee may direct taxicab drivers to accept multiple passengers.
Group riding is defined as the simultaneous use of a taxicab by several related or unrelated passengers who have a common point of pickup and destination.
Related group riding passengers shall be charged the full meter fare plus any additional passenger add on fees applicable upon arrival at the common destination.
Unrelated group riding passengers shall each pay the full metered fare upon arrival at the common destination.
Share riding is defined as the simultaneous use of a taxicab by several unrelated passengers or parties who have a common point of pick up but different destinations.
Shared rides shall be charged as follows: as each passenger or party reaches their destination, the fare and any applicable add on fees shall be paid by the passenger or party leaving the taxicab, at which time the meter shall be reset, and the passenger(s) or parties remaining in the taxicab shall pay in the same manner until the last passenger or party arrives at their destination and the final metered taxicab fare is paid.