Storm Preparedness Checklist:
Be Prepared for Tropical Storms:
- Ensure you have a way to receive warnings-a NOAA weather radio, a weather app on your phone or the radio/television.
- Sign up for the City of White Plains alert notifications system at “White Plains Alerts”. To sign up go to wppublicsafety.com or cityofwhiteplains.com Signing up will allow emergency managers to communicate with you if necessary.
- Make sure your vehicles are in good working condition. Be sure that you have a car charger for your cell phone in case the power is out.
- Put together a “go bag” for each member of your family, including pets, that includes clothes, toiletries, medicines and anything else needed to survive comfortably away from home for several days should you need to move to another location.
- Put together a general emergency preparedness kit. Water (1 gallon per person per day) Battery-powered weather radio with extra batteries, Non-perishable food, an LED Flashlight, First Aid Kit, and some cash in case ATMs and credit card systems are not working. Never use candles during a storm or a power failure.
- Know the difference! Hurricane/Tropical Storm Watch and Warning terminology
- Stay in contact with family and friends using phones or social media
- Prepare your home. Take pictures of your property, inside and out.
- Check your / or purchase a generator
- Trim trees or branches that could fall or be blown into the house.
- Store bottled water
- Clear out drains and gutters to keep them from flooding when it rains heavily.
- Bring inside any outdoor objects that could be picked up and thrown by strong winds.
- Make alternative plans to care for pets should it become necessary