BEWARE – PRE PAID MONEY CARD SCAM
- Often directed at elderly persons, or local businesses.
- Callers allege to be from a legitimate company and that you owe money right away.
- Threaten to cut off service, have you arrested, or some other immediate penalty. Callers insist that you pay by Green Dot card, Walmart/Target gift card, ITunes card, or money gram, wire transfer, etc. primarily but may suggest other types of pre-paid cards.
- High pressure – insist you pay in a short period of time. They request you get the card and give them the number off the back of the card.
- Requests may also be made through phone or email.
- In general, NO LEGITIMATE COMPANY WOULD INSIST OR MANDATE THIS TYPE OF PAYMENT. If a company, utility service, etc., demand you purchase money cards and call them back with the money card serial number, IT IS ALMOST CERTAINLY A SCAM.
- Call the real company to verify whether you owe money and how payment may be received by them (Do not use number given by them, use a phone number from a bill, receipt, phone listing, etc.)
- Callers have purported to be from several business or government entities, including but not limited to the following:
Con Edison - Cablevision - White Plains (or other cities) Court - Water Department US Marshalls (or other law enforcement re: warrants for arrest) – IRS – (taxes overdue)